selectbutton
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile / Ignoring   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Let's Play Wild Wasteland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Youpi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Let's Play Wild Wasteland    Reply with quote

In Fallout: New Vegas, enabling Wild Wasteland would use one of your character's two valuable trait slots, so many people played the game without that option.
In this LP, I hope to highlight those events they would have missed.
This is my first LP, so please be understanding if I didn't follow the format correctly.

The following post will contain over 100 enlargeable pictures, HD videos, some immature content, and spoilers for the main quest and Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica.

Last edited by Youpi on Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Filter / Back to top 
Youpi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:54 am        Reply with quote

I hope you enjoyed this project as much as I hated the many crashes I suffered for my art.
The soundtrack of the last video was stolen from this live performance. This is the only instance where I added something myself rather than use somebody else's mod.
And here is the list of the mods I was using, all were found on the New Vegas Nexus. Only about half the mods were actually showcased here, for various reasons generally involving crashes. The load order uses BOSS sort.
The bad framerate in the videos was entirely due to the amount of mods, and not to my hardware (Radeon 6870, 2.8 Ghz Xeon, 6GB, Velociraptor, separate HD for recording. Nerd.) so I maxed out the graphic settings, lower settings made no difference.
Fun fact: Some of the videos are blocked in Japan, Montenegro, and Serbia.

If you want to jump into the NV modding world, I wrote a few words of advice further down on this page.

Last edited by Youpi on Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Filter / Back to top 
Norberton
banned

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:12 am        Reply with quote

Amazing.

How much space does all of this take on your hard drive?
Youpi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:40 am        Reply with quote

The NV folder is 31GB in total, but the mod manager stores every mod twice: as efficiently compressed 7zip archives, and as deployed uncompressed files in the Data subfolder. The mods folder itself, containing the compressed data, takes up 6.8GB, the biggest mods being the radio stations adding thousand of songs.
I would have liked to showcase more but with the frequency of crashes it was becoming too much of a chore for something supposed to be a fun project.

(Also anybody paying attention to my character's level in the videos will notice that I re-arranged the order of the events to make a less incoherent narrative. I barely played, I only focused on making pics and vids, so a lot of tgm, tcl, modav.carryweight and advlevel action happened)
cassievania
cassie-no night zone

Location: Master, the batteries in your Wii Remote are depleted

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:17 am        Reply with quote

this is the new vegas LP i've always dreamed of

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:43 am        Reply with quote

Man. I've never used a single mod on New Vegas and always found the wild wasteland perk to be pretty amusing on its own, but this is all hilarious.

One problem, though: Youpi, I thought you only played Dark Souls, as you have claimed on so many occasions. So disillusioned.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
Filter / Back to top 
CubaLibre
the road lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:15 am        Reply with quote

Youpi, you have shamed me. No other Let's Play can stand before you.
remote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:21 am        Reply with quote

jk yes this is amazing

should be frontpaged and blood potion'd

tumblr | last.fm | steam
Filter / Back to top 
Youpi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:46 am        Reply with quote

I thought it was easier to just go ahead and frontpage it without anybody's consent since I saw I had access to a "Frontpage" checkbox. Is it meant for the staff only? If so, well, uh, whoops.
The only rules about the frontpage explain how things used to work before the blood potion system, I joined after that.

CubaLibre wrote:

Thanks! This vid was a big spark in my deciding to attempt this, you know.

Last edited by Youpi on Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Filter / Back to top 
smartblue
Ph. D in Awesome

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:57 am        Reply with quote

Just... just wow. A+
NeoGAF Reject

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:58 am        Reply with quote

Youpi wrote:
I thought it was easier to just go ahead and frontpage it without anybody's consent since I saw I had access to a "Frontpage" checkbox. Is it meant for the staff only? If so, well, uh, whoops.
The only rules about the frontpage explain how things used to work before the blood potion system, I joined after that.

CubaLibre wrote:

No, any user can frontpage their own thread, with the caveat being that a mod can demote it if your post sux. This is rarely the case and certainly not the case with this thread!

great thread youpi.
Filter / Back to top 
remote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:22 am        Reply with quote

Oh, I only said it should be frontpaged without realizing you had already made it so...!

Definitely a worthy thread.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
Filter / Back to top 
Gironika

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:29 am        Reply with quote

I enjoyed every bit of this, thanks a lot!
I'd suggest to put this in the wiki, just in case if the db of the bbs should be lost someday ( yeah, I have seen some excellent stuff be lost forever when a friends bbs crossed the rubicon).
riot in lagos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:51 am        Reply with quote

The Jimbo Wales mod won my heart

| CATHODE DEBRIS | YEARS OF NEON LAVOS |

Filter / Back to top 
CubaLibre
the road lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:14 pm        Reply with quote

Youpi wrote:
CubaLibre wrote:

:3
Youpi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:04 pm        Reply with quote

Gironika wrote:
I'd suggest to put this in the wiki, just in case if the db of the bbs should be lost someday ( yeah, I have seen some excellent stuff be lost forever when a friends bbs crossed the rubicon).

I'm pretty paranoid about this stuff myself (ask me about my personal local and remote incremental backup strategy) so I made new youtube and imgur accounts just for this project to limit the chances of their being shut down by rogue copyright enthusiasts, and I'm definitely keeping the originals around just in case. But if anyone wishes to copy-paste it anywhere else just in case feel free.
Mr. Mechanical
ontological terrorist

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:10 pm        Reply with quote

That was wonderful. I'm going to have to mod NV sometime and play as a robot and do a bunch of other crazy stuff as well.

internisus wrote:
You are a pretty fucked up guy.

| BLUE | BLACK | PURPLE | wrote:
Mr. Mechanical - Too liberal
Filter / Back to top 
Youpi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:11 pm        Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
That was wonderful. I'm going to have to mod NV sometime and play as a robot and do a bunch of other crazy stuff as well.

I expect pics!

So, if anybody is inspired to replay NV with mods, here are a few suggestions:

General suggestions
- Get a Nexus account. Anything I mention by name without a link can be found on the search box on the New Vegas Nexus.
- Don't run more than a dozen of mods at once.
- You will need the New Vegas Script Extender. Many mods go out of their way not to require this essential enhancement, which is pretty stupid, no mod enthusiast will refuse to install NVSE.
- Use a mod manager. FOMM is what people generally use, but I find it buggy. The Nexus mod manager, while beta, works better for me. Do not ever attempt to install a mod without it. It's not about making install easier: it's about making uninstall possible at all.
- The load order really matters! 90% of the time, BOSS auto-sort gets it right.
- On the nexus, in the description of mods, the convention is to first put the changelog, then the copyright information, then shoutouts/disses to community members, and to bury the description of what the hell the mod actually does somewhere inconspicuous, because fuck you. Hope this helps.
- You will often see references to DarnifiedUI or DarnUI. You won't find it on the nexus, the last version (beta 4) is here and it will probably never be updated.
- Many mods add items and events in Goodsprings. Too many of them, and the city will have a terrible framerate. Try to move away to Primm: if the framerate is good, your game might be still very playable outside of Goodsprings.

Important mods
- Project Nevada: You want this one. It adds a ton of gameplay options such as good stat rebalancing that makes the difficulty more consistent, bullet time, dynamic crosshair, sprinting, inventory sorting, opening locked doors with explosives, NVG and thermal vision, etc... It is very stable and you can disable any change you don't like.
- Mission Mojave: According to the modders, it fixes 14694 details (mostly modelling errors). I didn't use it in this project though, it was incompatible with another mod.
- FOOK: It adds a ton of cool small things. I mean a ton of tons of them. However, it's quite a heavy mod that causes a lot of crashes and incompatibilty, without any huge benefit. I recommend against using it, unless you use only this one.
- NVAMP: Used to be a great project allowing you to run a ton of mods at once. Was abandoned. Don't bother with it.
- A Requiem for the Capital Wasteland: This mod is incredible. It just plain adds the whole of Fallout 3 in New Vegas. A sewer connects the two game worlds, merging them into a single game. However, this is a very high impact mod: unless you won't run anything else, I also recommend against this one.
- An Open World - No Borders: Removes all the invisible walls. Those walls are only meant to railroad you into playing the game in a counter-clockwise loop to see story events in order: no point having them on your second playthrough.
- Poco Bueno: a texture pack. If your graphics card can handle it, it's rather low impact in terms of compatibility.
- Radio Free Wasteland, Conelrad, Enclave radio, and People's Radio of China have some fitting music (mostly jazz, big band, rockabilly, country, and patriotic songs). Some have DJs too - although the Enclave one has some rather amateurish writing and delivery, and the Chinese one is just speech synth delivering the station ID once in a while.
- Mod Configuration Menu (MCM): you are likely to use a mod that can make use of it.

Mod combo ideas
To enjoy mods without the crashes, I suggest picking a few mods giving you an experience focused on an aspect of the game you enjoy. Here are a few ideas you can start from:

- Murder Simulator: Project Nevada, A World of Pain, Monster Mod, Warzones, Auto Loot Improved, Ammo Collecting FPS Style. Give yourself infinite carry weight (player.modav carryweight 50000), and set the difficulty to hard or very hard. Give yourself a perk every level (Project Nevada option).
- Murder Simulator with Inventory Management: Same as above, but normal carry weight, and add the Underground Hideout mod (especially recommended if you're a gun enthusiast. Freak.) Use normal or hard difficulty.
- Exploring new lands: New Vegas Bounties 1 & 2, Rust Town, Angel Park, Dog City.
- Making a normal replay more interesting: FOOK, More perks, NV Bobbleheads.
- Fallout Snap: Director's Chair and all its dependencies, Nevada Skies URWLified.
- Survival: Project Nevada, IMCNNV, pick a place to call home (or use the Underground Hideout) and don't ever save anywhere else, hardcore mode, no fast travel. I suggest normal difficulty: very hard would make it bullshit rather than challenging.
- Kawaii desu ne (๑╹◡╹): Everything in the "Asuka" series, Shojo race (hard to install), start with a search for "school uniform" and take a look at the other mods made by those authors. I neither judge nor masturbate. Also there are no Touhou mods what the hell is wrong with the Fallout modding scene. Oh, and obviously, A Dog's World, which adds 15 corgis to the game, only 4 of whom can follow you that's bullshit. (Note: "kawaii" means cute)
BotageL
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:26 pm        Reply with quote

Youpi wrote:
Also there are no Touhou mods what the hell is wrong with the Fallout modding scene.

How is that possible.

http://www.mdgeist.com/
Filter / Back to top 
Youpi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:32 pm        Reply with quote

My money is on the Japanese modding scene not really mingling with the international one, rather than their not existing.

Anyway, just in case it wasn't obvious, what I've just said will become obsolete in 6 months, tops. The NV modding world clearly has at least 2 or 3 more years of healthy life in it.
CubaLibre
the road lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 pm        Reply with quote

You have made me want to open my NV savegame for the first time in months. I should probably curse you.
remote

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:09 pm        Reply with quote

Yeah, same. Actually, I just did, and I'm still finding Old World Blues agonizingly dull. Sucks, because Dead Money was pretty good.

Not sure whether to drag myself through this or just quit to an earlier save out in the Mojave and go do Lonesome Road.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
Filter / Back to top 
CubaLibre
the road lawyer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:49 pm        Reply with quote

I started playing this again ;_;

But then I started playing Realm of the Mad God instead, which is far more hilarious. Crisis averted.
Quick Reply
 Attach signature
 Notify on replies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    selectbutton Forum Index -> King of Posters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: