selectbutton
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile / Ignoring   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swimmy's FFVII Megathread (image heavy!)
Goto page Prev  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BotageL
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:43 am        Reply with quote

This game is far more weird and incoherent and possibly dreamlike than my 12-year-old mind was ready to perceive. Thank you, Swimmy.

http://www.mdgeist.com/
Filter / Back to top 
Levi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:44 am        Reply with quote

"You're our 100th coup...oh."

Edit: Before 2003 I never knew you could go out with anyone but Barret.
Filter / Back to top 
Ben Reed

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:52 pm        Reply with quote

I had really forgotten just how hopelessly stupid Barret was.

Can't wait till the next installment of this thread.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:46 pm        Reply with quote

Ben Reed wrote:
Can't wait till the next installment of this thread.

Yes, enjoying this thread very much.
Loki Laufeyson
fps fragmaster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:59 pm        Reply with quote

something called final fantasy vii remix was just uploaded on underground gamer
Quote:
Since the original version, I've included added support for 64-bit operating systems, and eliminated program dependencies (such as loopbe and the truemotion and Indeo codecs thanks to Aali's driver). This installer effectively adds all FF7 controls to the start menu by utilizing script files that make running and configuring FF7PC Remix possible at the click of a mouse.
FF7 v1.02 official patch
Aali's OpenGL Driver v0.7.3b
Higher quality FMV's
Gjoerulv's Hardcore Mod v1.0 (+9999 limit breaker patch)
YAMP (Cutscene skip, Transparent dialogue boxes, and Mdef fix)
Apz' High quality Cloud battle mod
Timu Sumisu & Millenia's high quality Barret Battle mod
Grimmy's high quality Diamond Weapon Battle & Field mods
Team Avalanche 2D Overhaul (beta 9 hr +colon fix +fire2\faiga workaround +jutmpl01.tex fix +new opening screen)
Higher quality cloud bike minigame model
Phoenix Rejuvenation Project field models (+flickering materia fix +transparent faces fix)
New weapon models by Slayersnext+ApzFreak+TimuSumisu+Millenia
Ficedula's FF7Music (w/ "lessdebug")
Final FanTim's FF7 Remastered Soundtrack (looped by yours truly)
FF7 Remixed Music by the folks at OCReMix

Also incorporated are a few mods of my own:
File Icon Redux
New Spells/Weapons/Armor
Remastered AI Script
Battle glitch fixes
Re-translations

http://lunaticobscurity.blogspot.com/ - newest post: Aworg (Mega Drive)
Filter / Back to top 
BotageL
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:50 pm        Reply with quote

These guys really need to let the miserable PC port of FF7 die.

Filter / Back to top 
chevluh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:57 pm        Reply with quote

It's thanks to their help I learned lots of stuff and made my FF9 model viewer so I don't mind their obsession.
Filter / Back to top 
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:54 am        Reply with quote

Hey all, it's been a few months. SO FUCKIN' SUE ME.

When we last left off, Aeris was about to FUCKING DIE.

And now, she fucking dies!

But first, Cloud tries to kill her:

Eventually the other party members yell at Cloud to stop, and he stops. Hey, why didn't that work when he was handing Sephrioth the Black Materia?

(Side note: an interesting thing here is that you can move cloud from side to side with the four direction buttons. Pressing Circle readies the next stance, but until then, you're free to struggle as much as you like. It turns out that if you press the down button during two of the stances, Cloud looks like he's humping toward Aeris. I usually spend a very long time here humping at Aeris. I took some screenshots of it, but I am too lazy to compile them into an animated GIF. Find a save file on GameFAQs and try it yourself.)

But don't worry Cloud, there are still plenty of other ways for Aeris to die!

(Second side note: For some reason I didn't snap these on my playthrough. The next screenshots are from Youtube. Deal with it.)

"Oh, hi Cloud, what's up?"

"Not much. Just, you know, bein' ugly, spending a large amount of time on my hair. Sup with you?"

"Not much either, just, you know, prayin', tryin' to cast Holy to stop Meteor, you know. Oh hey what's that?"

"I'm a man in a black cape."

No gloves. . .

No gloves. . .

Aaaaaaaand gloves.

This one reminds me of the end of the movie Excalibur, where Arthur gets run through by a spear, but then he's fine, you just pull it through, what's the big deal?

Gloves? No gloves? Can't tell.

Definitely gloves.

Aeris' materia bounces away slowly. WHILE SAD MUSIC PLAYS.

I have outlined in red the path this materia takes while bouncing off of the platforms before hitting the water.

As you can see, unless the tops of the platforms are angled very specifically (and it doesn't seem that they are), this is totally impossible and looks ridiculous.

After this short scene, Cloud lays on the sadness to Sephiroth, as if the villain out to destroy the world gives a flying fuck:

Sephiroth tells Cloud that he can't possibly have any feelings because. . .

After this, Sephiroth flies away and we fight Jenova again. If one character has the Water Ring equipped, that character is completely invincible throughout this battle, so it's not exactly threatening. When we're done, well. Someone or other finishes Sephiroth's sentence:

This is one of my favorite screencaps because of the triple-whammy. First, for "Jenova" instead of "Sephiroth," which makes no sense. Really! That genuinely confused me as a kid. I thought it was Jenova's only speaking line--and right after I killed her? Second, the comma misplacement. Third, "Beacause" speaks for itself. DRAMA IN VIDEOGAMES! VIDEOGAMES ARE ART.

Cloud proceeds to bury Aeris in the lake outside the temple.

That pond looks a lot bigger than it does in the pre-rendered screen outside the temple, but whatever, it makes sense for there to be room for Cloud to stand there in that shallow pond.

Wait a minute. This is about a second after Cloud lets go of Aeris:

And this is about a second after that:

WHERE THE FUCK WAS CLOUD STANDING? Even if we was treading water (in his heavy armor and enormous boots), where the fuck was he when we got an underneath view? Dare I say this scene is not very well thought-out?

I'll leave all floating body jokes aside for now. We'll just assume that Ancients are immune to bloating after death and the like.

This was a short update, but I'm mildly boozed up and I'm happy to get it out of the way. You should be happy too! Join us next time when we visit snow country and learn about Aeris' parents! Also maybe there will be snowboarding.
tyranically banal

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:23 am        Reply with quote

also, the revelation that cloud is a puppet gets extra-long ellipses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:27 am        Reply with quote

That was one of my favorite parts from FFVII. All those weird moments that you could press buttons and do actions outside of just examine or generic game interaction. Don't know what to say about them but I really dug them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:44 am        Reply with quote

When this happened for the first time I had to go to my sister's violin recital right after and I was really sad through the whole thing and I came back and beat Jenova and I was really angry.

Its really stupid in hindsight but its kinda a defining moment for my generation.
It will store our brains in mason jars
Filter / Back to top 
diplo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:09 am        Reply with quote

maybe aerits floating down and down and down is a metaphore...........
for lieke.......... being gone..........
Isfet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:47 pm        Reply with quote

even at the age of 12 (or was it 13?...no, 12), i had little to no empathy for Aeris as a character.
Filter / Back to top 
BotageL
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:54 pm        Reply with quote

Isfet wrote:
even at the age of 12 (or was it 13?...no, 12), i had little to no empathy for Aeris as a character.

Yeah, I was laughing through the whole thing the first time

My classmates assured me I was heartless

Filter / Back to top 
Isfet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 pm        Reply with quote

she was just such a boring character! i mean, maybe all of the characters were actually boring (probably), but she was particularly uninteresting to me. nothing she said or did seemed of any consequence to anything going on in the entire game, other than that we were perhaps supposed to care about her.

and then, why would we care? i never understood how Cloud and Aeris were actually supposed to be in love. nothing about their interactions seemed to indicate, to me, that they were any closer than anyone else he interacted with. except, at some point, it's just stated, plainly, that he's upset about this now. i dunno; i mean, i liked some terrible and cheesey shit as a kid, but even i needed more development than that if i were going to buy a story like that.
Filter / Back to top 
CubaLibre
the road lawyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:07 pm        Reply with quote

To me, she just sucked in battles. I was relieved when she died because I wouldn't be forced to use her in my party any more. I guess that goes to show what I looked for in games, even when I was 12.
Ben Reed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:48 pm        Reply with quote

Swimmy, thank you for updating this thread. This thread inspired me to play the game again myself (I'm currently on my way to Costa del Sol) and while the plot is very silly and the translation charmingly bad, I gotta say it has a much better overall sense of presentation than, well, many Squenix games of later date AND much higher production values. Decent pacing for the most part, the characters don't strike me as especially annoying, and the big plot twists of the game are actually spaced/conceived fairly well...it's just that the corny models (both pre-rendered adult-size and the stubby-limbed midgets) and the terrible English translation suck pretty much all the gravitas out of them. (see: Aeris' death. Hard to fault young Botage for laughing at such a crudely rendered, bloodless impalement, with stiff poses and blank facial expressions on all parties' faces. Seriously, just having actual emotive faces in that scene would do SO much to improve its impact.)

The Materia system was also a pretty decent customization system for an FF game, putting aside the silliness of endgame stuff like Mimed W-Summoned Knights of the Round (with HP Absorb/MP Absorb, of course). Shame that the encounter difficulty is largely pretty lowball until you get to the hidden bosses. Really, in the context of its era, I don't think this game ages so badly...but then again, latter-day Final Fantasy has lowered the bar all the way to the substratum by this point...

Please continue doing God's work in snarky videogame retrospectives on the Internet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:22 pm        Reply with quote

Hey Swimmy, I don't suppose you're still plugging away at this, are you?

Filter / Back to top 
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:53 pm        Reply with quote

I should be! Thanks for the reminder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:35 pm        Reply with quote

A short one, because the game gets rather fast-paced here and I'm too tired to write up very much story background.

WHEN WE LAST LEFT, AERIS/AERITH/ALICE/WHATEVER WAS FUCKING DEAD

Now we get to meet her stupid parents.

The gang crawls through some awkward cliffs just to the north of the forgotten city, still in search of Sephiroth. When they emerge, they find themselves on a snow-covered continent full of bandersnatches and rabbits with carrot-swords.

They make their way to the nearest town, which is lovely and covered with snow. There they find:

1) Aerith's parents' house, left unoccupied but with the electricity on for years and years and years. Here they view old video records made by her father, professor Gast, of her mother, Ifalna. He asks her questions about the Ancients, the planet, and, uh, Knowlespole:

Gast asks Ifalna about Weapon:

It turns out that Weapon is a weapon.

This is where we learn that Jenova, Sephiroth's not-mother, was actually an alien who crashed into the planet and caused an enormous crater. The planet MAGICALLY created a host of super-large sentient monsters to protect itself from Jenova (didn't work I guess?) and sent a bunch of Mako energy to the crater to heal. It's nice that planets have evolved such complex defense mechanisms.

Hidden in the archive are two videos not related to repeatedly berating Ifalna for information: records of Alice's birth!

There's no picture to go along with it, but isn't that cute, it's where they named Alice! Somehow being forgetful means that you can't come up with good names or something!

Hey, wait a second, what was the title of that video again?

They didn't name her for 10 DAYS after she was born? What were they calling her in the mean time? "Ifalna, will you check on the annoying crying thing?"

Ok, let's go ahead and find out what's on the last video. Gast and Ifalna are hanging out, there's a knock on the door, and. . .

HOW DARE THEY INTRUDE ON OUR "PRIVATE TIME" TOGETHER!

Anyway, some soldiers barge in, accompanied by Hojo. Gast resists and is killed. Aww, if only Aeris were here with us to see the video footage of her father being murdered!

2) This guy:

3) OMG THE TURKS!

Now, I failed to capture a screenshot, but the dialogue before this:

is of Elena saying something like, "That was real cold-hearted of you doing in my boss like that." Tseng turns out to not be dead in Advent Children, which I figured was just shitty retconning, but my friend insisted that this line was a mistranslation and the original is much less suggestive of Tseng's demise. Regardless, Tseng is never seen in the game again, and I plan to never watch Advent Children, so fuck it, he's dead.

At this point, the gang snowboards off into the future, where they almost freeze to death. The goal here is to head toward the crater where Jenova crashed, as this is supposedly the Promised Land that Sephiroth is heading for. We're still chasing Sephiroth, remember?

I skipped all the screenshots of the glacier area and the icecicle dungeon, even though they are probably the most interesting dungeons in the game. BTW, at this point, if you have the Enemy Skill "Beta," you can easily insta-kill almost every single group of enemies you encounter, as they're mostly weak against fire and that spell is insanely powerful. So even though the dungeon design is interesting, this is where the game's balance starts to get thrown way off.

Anyway, the party emerges from the icecicle dungeon to the great northern crater, which is a major step back, dungeon-layout-wise. It's full of a bunch of shitty timed traps that knock you back and force you to fight a battle if you time it wrong.

The gang heads toward the center of the crater. Along the way they find lots of the hooded dudes with numbers on their hands. They eventually encounter Sephiroth and fight Jenova again. Afterwards, it's revealed that the Sephiroth you've been chasing is just a shadow? Or something?

Of course, you're after the real Sephiroth, and the shadow/clone/familiar/whatever has been leading you to him, so either the translation is bad or Tifa is an idiot. Or both!

After beating Jenova, Cloud recovers the Black Materia. However, convinced that he can't be trusted with it, he hands it off to another party member (either Red XIII or Barret, I think). Of course, that party member then just gets tricked by a Sephiroth illusion to think that Cloud is in trouble and hands the Black Materia right back to Cloud who hands it to Sephiroth, so the entire excursion is completely pointless except to establish either Red XIII's or Barret's extreme stupidity.

Ok. This next part is difficult to summarize. Cloud and Tifa stumble on up to the Promised Land, where they have a nice little chat/flashback with Sephiroth. Sephiroth tries to convince the two that: 1) Cloud is not really Cloud, was never in SOLDIER, and is just a failed Sephiroth clone like all the weirdos in black robes; 2) Cloud wasn't there in Nibelheim when all the weird shit went down; 3)

Which. . . WHAT? I know the game is trying to come up with some excuse for why what Sephy's saying might be true even though Cloud has all of these memories, but WHAT? Apparently in the world of Final Fantasy VII, people's memories just float around randomly about the world, outside of their bodies, on into Hojo's labs, where Jenova eats them up and becomes clones with those memories? WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF EXPLANATION IS THIS, SEPHIROTH, AND WHY DOES CLOUD TAKE IT AT FACE VALUE? More importantly, WHY DID TEENAGE ME TAKE IT AT FACE VALUE IT MAKES NO SENSE ARARARARARARARARARRRRRRRRGH!

Anyway, the only evidence for any of this shit Sephy brings out is this picture:

Whoops! Guess it wasn't Cloud with them at Nibelheim that day! Cloud is at first skeptical but then realizes that his memories are all fucked up and it's probably true, so he decides to magically float up to the ceiling of the area and sulk for a bit while Hojo and Rufus prattle on down below.

Oh yeah, also Hojo and Rufus show up:

I love that Hojo is putting on airs of the "I'm too sciencey to believe in a place full of Mako energy with materia walls where the Ancients believed much of the planet's power was etc." even WHILE HE IS STANDING IN THAT VERY SPOT. The place I'm standing in is an old wive's tale and doesn't exist! Silly Rufus, stop being silly and pretending it exists!

Yeah, anyway, just before floating up to the ceiling, Cloud begs Hojo to give him a number, and Hojo won't, because he's a "failed clone." I. . . I don't know. It doesn't matter. Like I said, this bit is too hard to summarize, because it's all a bunch of nonsense. Let's just post some screnshots and laugh at them, ok?

Hojo is talking about Cloud, I think. It's been a while since I played this part. Regardless, "combined with science and nature" cracks me up.

Oh, and here's a flashback to when Cloud met Tifa and adopted his false/not false/whatever identity:

I'm confused on the timeframe here. When did Sephiroth think Jenova's memories fused with Tifa, or. . . uh. . . whatever? Right here at the train station I guess?

Idunno. Too tired. I think this is one of those things where, when we were all teenagers, we were excited about what would happen next and so clicking through all of this dialogue carelessly. In retrospect, the plot of Lost Highway makes more sense. I give up.

So yeah. Cloud gives the Black Materia to Sephiroth (the real Sephiroth, who's been chillin' in the Promised Land the whole time), there's an earthquake, the place caves in, Cloud is lost, and a bunch of big scary monsters fly up outta the ground.

NEXT TIME: What happened to the gang in the aftermath, and a hilarious gas chamber sequence!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:51 pm        Reply with quote

The phrase about Tifa's memories is just some crazy mistranslation. The idea is that back when Cloud first narrates the Sephiroth story to the party (in Kalm?) Tifa naturally knows he's wrong (IIRC there's some early signs that indicate this in hindsight) but decides to shut up about it. There's no fusion or whatever, she just plays along with Cloud's delusions because she wants him around even if he's not the Cloud she remembers. She also probably don't realize just how crazy hobo-Cloud is because he never mentions his version of the Nibelheim stuff until the talk with the party.
Filter / Back to top 
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:48 pm        Reply with quote

That sounds more reasonable. But at the same time, Cloud accurately describes most of the Nibelheim events even though Tifa agrees that he wasn't actually there. We find out later that he got the info because he was there, but in this short moment, how is Sephiroth's lie believable? "You weren't there."
"Ok!"
"But you still basically know everything that happened word for word."
"Must be Jenova!"

Is it just that Cloud is an idiot? Did Tifa tell him about it all? If so, she wouldn't have told it as, "And there you were!"
forum ruler of Iraq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:57 am        Reply with quote

Man swimmy you are making me want to play Crisis Core again.

Which is not a good game and OH GOD WHY DO I STILL OWN IT.

The ending is almost batshit enough to make up for it.

THERE ARE DEFINITELY WORSE VIDEO GAME PODCASTS
Filter / Back to top 
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:27 am        Reply with quote

I will probably play that game some day, when PSP emulation is on the up-and-up. And I am ashamed of that fact.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:37 am        Reply with quote

Thanks Swimmy!

By the way, you are now at the furthest place I've gotten before my game broke for the third and final time.

Is there any reasonable way for you to upload your save game so I can finally finish the game after all these years?

Filter / Back to top 
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:54 am        Reply with quote

Sorry, no. These screenshots are actually pretty old, and my save game is at the end. There are some saves here you can check out. Depending on how well these people played, you might have to backtrack a bit for enemy skills. I do have the bin/cue files and two strategy guides in pdf form, if anybody wants them / can't find them easily elsewhere. One of the strategy guides is my beloved unofficial Prima guide, which is full of false information (because much of it was played on the Japanese version) and bad humor.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:45 am        Reply with quote

Oh hey, great! Had no idea there was a site like that anywhere. Thanks!

Filter / Back to top 
Texican Rude
forum ruler of Iraq

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:48 am        Reply with quote

?

THERE ARE DEFINITELY WORSE VIDEO GAME PODCASTS
Filter / Back to top 
chevluh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:57 am        Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
That sounds more reasonable. But at the same time, Cloud accurately describes most of the Nibelheim events even though Tifa agrees that he wasn't actually there. We find out later that he got the info because he was there, but in this short moment, how is Sephiroth's lie believable? "You weren't there."

What he's meant to believe at that point is he's a lab rat with someone else's (specifically, Zack's) memories implanted. Making him think he wasn't even there and doesn't exist outside of being Sephiroth's puppet is the whole objective. "You weren't there" works because at that point he's ready to swallow that just because Zack was there where Cloud had said he himself was, Cloud wasn't there at all (which is a fallacy but Tifa can really only agree given she only witnessed Zack's side of the story).
Filter / Back to top 
remote

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:41 am        Reply with quote

It's pretty funny to see so clearly, almost a decade and a half later, what a bunch of dumb bullshit this game really was. I guess I can't even say for certain anymore, but I want to say that FFVII was a special brand of bullshit way beyond any of the other FF games, at least of that era. FFVIII was full of bullshit, but I like to think that that one had a lot more meta-narrative layering to it (I prefer to buy into the whole "Squall is dead" theory). This is still interesting, though, because despite my constant disappointment with the game as I played it, I kept going all the way until the very end. Why? I guess I was a bit more of a Square fanboy back then, coming off FF3US and Chrono Trigger, thus I was a bit more invested in the whole thing. In retrospect, the best time I had with the game was not even the whole of Midgar, but the demo disc that was released (with trailers for Xenogears and such) several months earlier... I must have played through that a couple dozen times. The intro and the music at the train station, the fight down to the Mako reactor, and so on—it was all pretty thrilling and got me ridiculously hyped for the full game.

And then, well, yeah. The reality of it was a total mess. I agree with others itt who've already pointed out how it was impossible to feel genuine emotion for "Aerith" or any of these characters despite all the absurd pathos and melodrama. If I were to replay one of the PSX FFs, it would have to be VIII.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:13 am        Reply with quote

remote wrote:
I agree with others itt who've already pointed out how it was impossible to feel genuine emotion for "Aerith" or any of these characters despite all the absurd pathos and melodrama.

well, of course. They're fictional.
Filter / Back to top 
remote

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:22 am        Reply with quote

Are you serious?

tumblr | last.fm | steam
Filter / Back to top 
Toto

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:14 pm        Reply with quote

remote wrote:
It's pretty funny to see so clearly, almost a decade and a half later, what a bunch of dumb bullshit this game really was. I guess I can't even say for certain anymore, but I want to say that FFVII was a special brand of bullshit way beyond any of the other FF games, at least of that era. FFVIII was full of bullshit, but I like to think that that one had a lot more meta-narrative layering to it (I prefer to buy into the whole "Squall is dead" theory). This is still interesting, though, because despite my constant disappointment with the game as I played it, I kept going all the way until the very end. Why? I guess I was a bit more of a Square fanboy back then, coming off FF3US and Chrono Trigger, thus I was a bit more invested in the whole thing. In retrospect, the best time I had with the game was not even the whole of Midgar, but the demo disc that was released (with trailers for Xenogears and such) several months earlier... I must have played through that a couple dozen times. The intro and the music at the train station, the fight down to the Mako reactor, and so on—it was all pretty thrilling and got me ridiculously hyped for the full game.

And then, well, yeah. The reality of it was a total mess. I agree with others itt who've already pointed out how it was impossible to feel genuine emotion for "Aerith" or any of these characters despite all the absurd pathos and melodrama. If I were to replay one of the PSX FFs, it would have to be VIII.

I replayed a whole big junk of FFVIII just recently when we had the Let's Play. Holds up pretty well I think!
Would like to play FFIX again soonish too.
Filter / Back to top 
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:33 pm        Reply with quote

chevluh wrote:
Swimmy wrote:

What he's meant to believe at that point is he's a lab rat with someone else's (specifically, Zack's) memories implanted. Making him think he wasn't even there and doesn't exist outside of being Sephiroth's puppet is the whole objective. "You weren't there" works because at that point he's ready to swallow that just because Zack was there where Cloud had said he himself was, Cloud wasn't there at all (which is a fallacy but Tifa can really only agree given she only witnessed Zack's side of the story).

Ah-ha! That would actually sort-of make sense! Is the Japanese version of the game clearer, or has the fanbase pieced this all together from bits of scattered nonsensical dialogue?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:07 pm        Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
chevluh wrote:
Swimmy wrote:

Ah-ha! That would actually sort-of make sense! Is the Japanese version of the game clearer, or has the fanbase pieced this all together from bits of scattered nonsensical dialogue?

It's what my 17 years old self understood back when it came out, and all the people I knew then, and even when I replay it after all those years it's still what I get, and it always seems to me people are jumping through hoops making it more complicated than it really is. The fanbase itself tends towards complication too, not reduction (though to be fair Square has been encouraging this bullshit with the compilation stuff).

It was right after the french sub of Evangelion had been released so maybe it attuned my mind to bullshit plots, I dunno. But overall I don't share the point of view of people who think FF7 is particularly more stupid than other FFs, it's one of those things like I discovered when I replayed FF8 earlier this year where I'd let the net convince me the game's more stupid than it really is. For sure it has its quirks, but some of them are fascinating, in particular how it was a big departure when it came out but compared with the next two it very obviously has a foot firmly rooted in the SNES tradition, much more than FF9 which tried to do just that very hard.
Filter / Back to top 
Lymojo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:37 pm        Reply with quote

Where can I get ahold of FF7 isos? The torrent I found doesn't seem to work, but that might be a problem with my tracker. Does anyone have a link they know for sure works?

Uh, maybe pm me or something?

Filter / Back to top 
Gironika

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:36 pm        Reply with quote

remote wrote:
Are you serious?

even this question in this thread is cracking me up.

Just wanted to say that I enjoy reading this here, since I've played 7 in 2002 or 2003 and couldn't really get into it back then, as I have seen other things before it.
And yeah, replaying FF9 would be something I'd love to do soon as well, though the FF8-thread was just some months ago and thus a 9-replay would follow a bit too close for its own good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:38 pm        Reply with quote

DAIS is often dry enough that I could see him being serious, but that might have been some of his subtler sarcasm. :/ It probably was.

tumblr | last.fm | steam
Filter / Back to top 
Loki Laufeyson
fps fragmaster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:08 pm        Reply with quote

http://lunaticobscurity.blogspot.com/ - newest post: Aworg (Mega Drive)
Filter / Back to top 
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:37 pm        Reply with quote

It has been months! Thanks to Iacus for reminding me to update. I really do just need gentle prodding sometimes, because I forget about my playtime projects easily.

(Also I need to be kicked to remember to make some animated gifs from Valor's Kids. Eventually.)

WHEN WE LAST LEFT OFF, some shit happened in the promised land and it was :(

Now, the aftermath. First, setup: Cloud has disappeared. Tifa and Barret have been captured by Shinra. Cait Sith is free, I guess, because he's Shinra, and Yuffie appears to have escaped. Vincent is nowhere to be seen for a while, and Cid is inexplicably missing from this whole scene.

Sephiroth was successful in casting Meteor. A giant meteor is heading toward the planet and it's gonna kill the shit out of everyone. Shinra, worried about their public image for some reason, is looking for someone to blame, so they set up Barrett and Tifa to be executed on television. Makes perfect sense.

PS we're back in the city of Junon.

A room we pass on the march to our deaths. I think the statue is supposed to be president shinra. Mostly I just adore the giant poster advertising "CANNON"

I guess what I like most about this situation is that Cait Sith has snuck in as a reporter, suggesting the other civs in the room are also reporters. . . and they're all hearing straight from a head Shinra employee that the execution is bullshit. I like the cameras in the back. Presumably they're recording this to go out as a news feed? But the execution takes place in another room. When does the recording start, exactly?

It turns out Cait Sith has snuck in to help the gang out. He's also a little sexist. The door to Tifa's gas chamber is locked, so Cait Sith and Barret run around Junon to enact a nonsensical plan that only ends up working because of a stroke of crazy luck. That luck? One of the Weapon monsters attacks Junon whil all this is going on, and one of his little mouth-laser-blasts just so happens to open a gaping hole into Tifa's execution room!

BTW, I didn't nab any screenshots of that execution room, but it's quite funny. Tifa is locked down (arms only) in a chair with a couple of pipes that release poison gas directly into her face. Tifa has to hold her breath (which she can do indefinitely), then use her legs to pick up a key, move it to her head, move her head to an arm, and then that arm to the other. All of these body parts are mapped to a button and you have to press the appropriate buttons at the same time. Once she's free, Tifa uses her martial arts skills or magic or her giant breasts or something to just climb right up the bare wall of her prison and out the hole in the ceiling the Weapon monster made.

While all this is going on, Barret and Cait Sith are running to the airport. They run into Yuffie on the way there, who is in disguise as a tourist, and is asking someone to take pictures of her. Outside. In Junon. While a giant monster is attacking the whole city.

So anyways the giant monster gets its head blown off by Junon's CANNON (cutscene!) and Cait Sith et al. make it to the heliport, where their segment ends.

Tifa, meanwhile, has climbed out and finds herself on top of Junon's CANNON, the, uh, Sister Ray.

Having nowhere else to go, and apparently wanting to get on the place with the worst possible footing, she runs all the way to the end of the CANNON, where she gets into a slap-fight with Scarlet.

Seriously! They're women, so of course they're just going to slap each other for a while. That's how women fight.

It doesn't matter if you win or lose. (It's how you slap the broad!) This picture is the win scenario. Either way, Tifa will hear a voice telling her to run to the end of the cannon, where she'll jump off and JUST BARELY catch a rope dangling from the Highwind, which all the other characters have highjacked from Shinra! Yay!

Tifa meets everyone on board, where Cait Sith gives her information Shinra.

Tifa panicks a bit because now she's in charge, but she misses Cloud :( so Barret tells her to get a hold of her self. They all conclude that Cloud got swallowed in the Lifestream, so they should look for him in an area where the Lifestream bubbles to the surface. (PS I love the idea of this: the Lifestream is literally liquified souls. And there are some places on the planet where it just. . . pops up! You could go for a dive in there, have a drink, whatever! Also presumably most of the places the Lifestream comes out above the ground are under the ocean, so Cloud has almost certainly drowned. Also: you can breathe in the Lifestream? Why would he not have drowned there? Why the fuck do they have any hope at all?)

Anyway, one of my favorite things to do after the huge Junon battle is to park the Highwind right outside and walk directly back inside, where no guards are looking for me, and nobody notices the giant airship I just stole sitting right there.

If you do explore Junon, you'll run into this shopkeeper. I actually like this joke.

Anyway, now that we've got an airship, there's really only one place on the world map that we haven't explored, and it just so happens to have a town with a visible green lake before you go inside, so, duh, that's where Cloud is. It's the town of Mideel!

At every shop in town is this crazy chocobo lady, who is stocking up on supplies for the end of the world. (I don't know why she would need supplies from anything other than the item shop, but the game actually does something with it later that's kinda clever, so who cares.) Anyway she's known as the chocobo lady because it always plays the chocobo music around her, and she's got this little silver tyke following her everywhere. I grabbed this specific screenshot because it is impossible to buy "samolen greens" anywhere in the game. What the chocobo actually wants?

Obviously! And for those greens, the chocobo gives you some of the best materia in the game. Of course. (I think they imply it was on its collar?)

So yay! Cloud's here! And he's in a wheelchair! But he's ok!?

No, he's not ok. He has "Mako poisoning," and the doctor thinks he'll never recover. So you don't drown in the lifestream, you just get "mako poisoning." From breathing in all that liquified soul goodness. Gotcha.

And the reason Mako is poison is because we can't stand to have so much knowledge in our heads. Specifically, the knowledge has to be "Mako-drenched." Then it's poison instead of power.

But despite his prognosis, the doctor reminds us to never give up .................. Hope.............

Oh also Ultima weapon briefly attacks the town and we fight him off, even though he's clearly too large to fit in the town at all and he would just smash most of the buildings flat instantly, whatever.

Tifa decides to stay behind with Cloud, and the rest of the party leaves to. . . Wait, what are we going to do now?

Oh, of course, the game fills us in when we get on the airship. I like this joke. Cait Sith is talking about Heidegger and Scarlet, who have distinct laughs. But I like the awkward capitalization and comma usage even more.

Basically, Shinra plans to gather all the huge materia, load it onto the rocket in Rocket Town, and shoot it at the meteor in hopes of blowing it up. There are four of these things (they know because they are used in Mako reactors I guess?), and there are two Shinra hasn't secured: at ""Corel" and "Fort Condor"."

The gang thinks they have a better use for the huge materia. Specifically, if they get ahold of it, something should happen.

So this follows logically.

And that's another reason.

I guess I decided to put the huge materia hunt on hold for a little bit and do a couple of the little sideventures in Mideel.

This old man has an elixir sitting on the bed. If you take it, as you're leaving, he asks if you took it. (He is apparently blind, since the elixir is the size of his head and the bed is 4 feet away.) You can lie or tell the truth. Either way, you get to keep the elixir, so being a total dick is the only correct option.

Another quest involves attempting to open the door in the back of this shop. You can find a key outside, but when you use it on the door, the key gets stuck. If you're honest with the shopkeep about what happened, he explains that the door isn't real, and also that he is insane. Then he gives you a crappy ring for your troubles.

So hey! On to the huge materia hunt. I think you can tackle Corel or Fort Condor in whatever order you want, but I only have one screenshot from this segment anyway so I'll just tell you about both of them.

In Corel, a train is transporting the huge materia out of the reactor and on over to the town, where I guess Shinra can transport it more easily. So this is a train chase sequence! First we have to catch up with the train on a stupid little handcar, then jump onto the train, fight some battles, kill off the dudes controlling the train, then smash it into the town. I mean, wait, no, not that. We have to figure out how to keep it from smashing into the town. If you do so in time, you get a couple rewards from the villagers, including Barret's final limit break and the Ultima materia. One huge materia claimed!

Also it turns out that the villagers of North Corel, including Barret, were all born inside coal mines! That makes sense.

The second segment is Fort Condor. I don't remember if I mentioned it earlier. It's a place you can go throughout the game and play a mediocre tower defense game for various lousy rewards. I don't think I've ever played more than a couple of missions in one playthrough of the game. Anyway, this last one, for the huge materia, is mandatory. But the best part about it: If an enemy soldier does happen to make it to the top of the tower, you can go outside, fight a boss, and be done with the whole thing. This is the cheapest way to do it, since buying defensive units costs money and time, but what about the prizes? Actually, it's better if you just fight the boss, because he drops some of the best armor in the game. There is no specific prize for actually defending the fort. Hooray!

The gang decides to go back to Mideel and check on Cloud and Tifa.

Tifa is surprised by this!

While we're there, Utlima Weapon attacks again. This time he pretty much destroys the town, which mostly sinks into the lifestream, as do Cloud and Tifa.

And so begins the second overly long Cloud memory sequence.

I am reasonably sure that subconsciousness isn't a word.

In this sequence, Tifa literally wanders around through Cloud's memories helping him figure out what happened (which is made possible by the magic of LIFESTREAM!). There are three memories to visit, all in Nibelheim: the Sephiroth visit, the well promise, and a previously unmentioned Tifa's-mother's-death bit.

So we start with the Sephiroth visit.

I like that the game both acknowledges (for the second and only time) that there are ground-based vehicles that just maybe some people who are not in Shinra might drive, and that one was sitting unused for a period of several years in between Sephiroth's visit and your later visit to Nibelheim. Apparently it's been there for even longer than that.

Memory Sephiroth shows up, as meta-memory Tifa and meta-memory Cloud look on. Memory Cloud shows up shortly thereafter, but. . .

Tifa smacks Cloud's memory down. Cloud didn't show up and Tifa was just too scared to admit it before! Because she's a weak and lowly woman!

That is what she said! I guess Cloud is speaking here, by the way? Or some kinda meta-Cloud? I don't know.

They decide to visit a different memory: One they're sure they both share, that's locked "deep within their hearts."

But then it hilariously turns out that the well memory, locked deep within their hearts, is kinda awkward, because they weren't really friends at all and Tifa thought it was totally weird that Cloud asked to see her at the well that night. Cloud admits that he wanted to join SOLDIER to impress Tifa. Awww, he always had a little crush but was too shy to do anything! Cloud is an introverted videogame player, just like you!

I wonder how the text in this segment works? I gues Tifa can hear what's in the blue box. What about the rest? Just how buried into Cloud's brain is she?

They head on to the other memory. The window there is the window to Tifa's room, where there are tender memories....................... no one can ever know....................

lol

Cloud was jealous! He would stare into Tifa's window from the outside and love her and hate those boys. And they would look out at him and call him a weirdo. Because he was!

Anyway, Tifa's all sad 'cause her mother died, and there's some goofy rumor that dead people go to the other side of the Nibel mountains, so Tifa recklessly runs through them until she falls off a bridge and dies! And Cloud follows after her and also dies!

Or, you know, Tifa gets put in a coma for seven days and Cloud barely scrapes his knees. From falling off a mountain.

Anyway, this memory barely has anything to do with anything, except to establish that yeah, Cloud really lived in Nibelheim at one point and totally had the hots for Tifa. So they go back to the only memory that matters: Sephy's visit.

And Cloud remembers that it was Zack, not Cloud, who did all the things he said he did in the memory sequence at the beginning. Also, I have no idea how one would pronounce "Za......ck" and "Zac.......k" differently.

But Cloud was there! He just never made it into SOLDIER. He was a regular ol' guard, and he didn't show Tifa his face until after she got brutalized in the reactor, because he was embarrassed. At that point I guess Tifa was mostly unconscious? Don't know how else she would have forgotten such a dramatic event as Cloud getting stabbed in the chest by Sephiroth, then using Sephy's sword to lift Sephy up and chuck him to the bottom of the reactor, then carrying Tifa to safety. (Pictures not included.) This is actually a neat scene, though, because of the use of the music: It's the last time the overworld music plays, and the dialogue is set so that you can't rush through it. That way, they can time the triumphant bits right while Cloud is fuckin' up Sephiroth's shit. Post-meteor the overworld music changes to this really droll depressing music and I've never been a fan of that.

That's all for now. Next time, a stunning apology from Cloud for being such a memory-losing putz!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:42 pm        Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and after that memory sequence Cloud is magically cured of his Mako poisoning. Huzaah!
 Attach signature
 Notify on replies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    selectbutton Forum Index -> King of Posters All times are GMT
Goto page Prev  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: