selectbutton
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile / Ignoring   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contra pirates videos, so you don't have to play them
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Contra pirates videos, so you don't have to play them    Reply with quote

Youtube user iniche has done Contra fans and pirate games enthusiasts everywhere a favor by uploading videos of complete playthroughs of several Contra-inspired unofficial games, so that we can admire them in all their glory without having to endure their lacking gameplay.

We have an NES Contra III port (in three parts: 1, 2, 3) that is obviously crippled in comparison to the source, but showcases a lot of creativity to overcome the limitations of the platform. Weird aspects include a repeating third stage but in a different palette.

Super Contra 7/8 (NES) looks like a half-playable original game, though it rips its graphics from several sources, including Mighty Final Fight's first stage's background (check the leftmost screenshot, above.) There's another original game, called Super Contra X (NES) (1, 2, 3) which looks crappier but is equally original, at least as far as I'm able to tell. In one stage you're equipped with a jetpack, and the gameplay turns into that of a shoot'em up (depicted in the second screenshot above.)

There are other videos for more obscure platforms there, and they're quite intriguing, but I think I summed it up well enough with the most attractive ones already.
ionustron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:54 am        Reply with quote

THEND!

Cool find! I love how the spread bullets were being deflected by enemy bullets and just kinda pairing up and riding off screen together... Shooting love.

One interesting/odd port that caught my eye a month ago was a Sachen port of the arcade game Gaiapolis to the Nes... yeash, it's just weird, in a kinda cool way (they even kept the leveling system in), but mostly.... yeash. And I hate the clumpy music in Sachen games.
Filter / Back to top 
Laurel Soup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:52 pm        Reply with quote

A.D. 2636

WELCOME

THE WORLD OF GAME

A GAME

END
Brooks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:18 pm        Reply with quote

Laurel Soup wrote:
A.D. 2636

WELCOME

THE WORLD OF GAME

A GAME

END

The noblest way of all.
Filter / Back to top 
Koji

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:49 pm        Reply with quote

Yes, hilarious. Also:

'Otototel.'
v84j3gs2uc7ns4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:50 pm        Reply with quote

Filter / Back to top 
Lurky

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:22 pm        Reply with quote

Super Contra 7 is a bit awkward and slow, so half-playable is about right.

Super Contra 2 has a really interesting multilevel water thing going in level 1. You'll die for no clear reason sometimes, but it's neat.
Filter / Back to top 
Sketch

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 am        Reply with quote

Insert Credit had a news post on a site detailing a whole bunch of weird NES ports. I can't believe the Famicom is still going strong in these eastern countries. Wish I hadn't sold my system now.
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:51 am        Reply with quote

Hey, VGM/MIDI fans, mini-quiz time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKO37A46g2M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EemawfEBkAE

Those are video of a Chinese cellphone Contra game that's apparently official. What interested me most was the fact that I immediately recognized the first level theme - it's blatantly from Final Fantasy VIII.

Can anyone recognize the other songs? Because if they just shoved in random MIDIs from their harddrive/VGMusic.com, that would be pretty awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:44 am        Reply with quote

interesting, that NES Contra III seems to be based off of the Game Boy version made by Factor 5.
for instance, Slave Beast Taka's sprite is the exact same, just colorized.

neat find.
pirate games are really interesting pieces.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:58 am        Reply with quote

I haven't played the Game Boy version, but I bet it's better than the GBA port.
Lurky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:38 pm        Reply with quote

They are equally bad.

If you want to play Contra on a gameboy Operation C is the way to go.
Filter / Back to top 
Koji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:38 am        Reply with quote

That much I know! I love Operation C.
iniche

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:50 pm        Reply with quote

Hello, guys. This is Iniche, of course. I can't really figure how to prove it, but believe me, it's me, in the flesh and skin and whatever else.

First of all, I'm really glad to see that my videos are already recognized earlier than I expected. I see lots of interesting eyes already. Their original intention was aimed towards whatever fanbase that will (might) populate a Contra forum that has yet to open. Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, just came across this thread today.

Anyway, yes, Super Contra 2/Contra 1993 are hacks of the NES Contra, making them ridiculously hard. I have made videos of Super Contra 2 and Contra 1993, however, that was back when 1) I didn't realize youtube no longer accepted videos longer than 10 minutes and 2) I was not butted into splitting the videos like I do today (which is a really annoying step all the while). I deleted the videos, seeing no purpose for them (an early version of Super Contra X, Contra Spirits and Contra 1993 runthroughs are viewable in google videos by me, however they don't seem to have sound anymore).

At one point, I planned on a video-runthrough of Contra Fighter (GI Joe hack which hacks the characters into Street Fighter characters and the only appearance of Contra is in the title screen), but it's not close enough to Contra.

As strange as it may seem, that Cell Phone Contra Spirits is official, though only in China as far as I know. And believe me, don't be surprised to find several elements from other games recycled into these kinds of games. Take Contra: Return to Galuga, for example (see my new vids).

Speaking of new vids, ever since Contra Spirits for Cell Phones, I've uploaded over 20 more videos displaying rare Contra games. Check them out, you might get something interesting out there. I remember when I first got the pirate games. I felt like I was the only guy who actually knew about them enough.

@ionustron: the bullets don't actually get deflected by enemy bullets. That's the color flashing green and blue.

Finally, I've always thought as well that the NES Contra 3 pirate was mostly based off the Gameboy port of Contra 3. There are just many similarities.

Any questions or comments, don't hesitate to ask.

Cheers
Filter / Back to top 
Koji

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:49 pm        Reply with quote

Hey there, good job on the videos. Just watched a couple of your new ones. Definitely the Chinese cellphone games look unplayable, but then again, cellphone games always have.

HOMICIDE SENSOR NO.1, haha.

This is pretty hilarious.
iniche

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:17 am        Reply with quote

I also want to assure that I have a lot more Contra game videos in mind, I just need more time to make them. I've pretty much swamped in as much games as I could with the amount of free time I had earlier. Now I must wait for the next flock...

I'm currently on a major hunt to acquire this game: http://www.konami.jp/products/appli_supercontra/
Filter / Back to top 
Koji

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:33 am        Reply with quote

You're crazy.

What's KonamiNet DX?
iniche

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:11 pm        Reply with quote

It's a Cell Phone games portal they opened up a while back, servicing customers with some mobile conversions.
Filter / Back to top 
iniche

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:10 am        Reply with quote

UPDATE (well minor): For those of you that know Super Contra 7/8, check out my latest video depicting a rather humorous glitch in the game.

EDIT: I've also uploaded Super Fight I. A hack... of a hack.
Filter / Back to top 
Lick Meth

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:10 am        Reply with quote

What the fuck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:47 am        Reply with quote

The pirate game is a simple mathematical game. It illustrates how, if assumptions conforming to a homo economicus model of human behaviour hold homeowners insurance, outcomes may be surprising. It is a multi-player version of the ultimatum game. There are five rational pirates, A, B, C, D and E. They find 100 gold coins. They must decide how to distribute them.

The Pirate world's rules of distribution are thus: that the most senior pirate should propose a distribution of coins. The pirates, including the proposer, then vote on whether to accept this distribution advertising agencies. If the proposed allocation is approved by a majority or a tie vote, it happens. If not, the proposer is thrown overboard from the pirate ship and dies, and the next most senior pirate makes a new proposal to begin the system again.

Pirates base their decisions on three factors. First of all, each pirate wants to survive. Secondly, each pirate wants to maximize the amount of gold coins he receives desktop computers. Thirdly, each pirate would prefer to throw another overboard, if all other results would otherwise be equal.
Filter / Back to top 
eskaibo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:00 am        Reply with quote

yesss
Filter / Back to top 
Toups
tyranically banal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:21 am        Reply with quote

man maybe I shouldn't have deleted him

this shit really is starting to resemble blade runner though

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:02 pm        Reply with quote

Ah, that's always nice... Good to see spambutts take the trouble of hijacking threads for advertising and monetary purposes just to keep my thread alive :)
<3

But they're a dime a dozen...
Filter / Back to top 
ashley

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:13 am        Reply with quote

Koji wrote:
I haven't played the Game Boy version, but I bet it's better than the GBA port.

i don't think so that its better than GBA because in GBA the shooting environment is superb instead of boy version ....well its up to you what you like

------------------------------
02' GGP E-Shift
[NLC MA#001] [Club Lexus - NELOC]
[Find me @ ISfanatics.com]
Nikon 70-553 D60

^(`;)^
Filter / Back to top 
eskaibo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:43 am        Reply with quote

goddamn
Filter / Back to top 
iniche

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 2:44 am        Reply with quote

There's actually a much more accurate port of Contra III for cell phones, now. Made by the awesome company Sina Mobile. It's virtually identical to Contra III, NOT emulation.
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 6:45 am        Reply with quote

How is the music? The music from III can be kind of subtle and intricate (somewhat comparable to Castlevania IV and contrasted to the louder, harder sounds of Hard Corps/Bloodlines), and I have a hard time seeing that come across even in a really well done cellphone MIDI rendition.

oh hey, you have a blog!

http://contraseries.wordpress.com/

Nice.

I wish Castlevania had this kind of pirate scene going on, but all I know of is the handful of cellphone games which copy various elements (either directly or "I can't believe it's not CV!")
Filter / Back to top 
Yakumo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:25 pm        Reply with quote

iniche wrote:
I also want to assure that I have a lot more Contra game videos in mind, I just need more time to make them. I've pretty much swamped in as much games as I could with the amount of free time I had earlier. Now I must wait for the next flock...

I'm currently on a major hunt to acquire this game: http://www.konami.jp/products/appli_supercontra/

The mobile version of the arcade game isn't on the web. It's only for i-Mode NTT DoCoMo FOMA phones at 525 yen.

But I'm trying to find the Taiwanese FarEastone version of the arcade game: http://game.iscreen.tw/game_intro.aspx?PID=1001595
Filter / Back to top 
Yakumo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:51 pm        Reply with quote

Dark Age Iron Savior wrote:
How is the music? The music from III can be kind of subtle and intricate (somewhat comparable to Castlevania IV and contrasted to the louder, harder sounds of Hard Corps/Bloodlines), and I have a hard time seeing that come across even in a really well done cellphone MIDI rendition.

oh hey, you have a blog!

http://byebyelink/

Nice.

I wish Castlevania had this kind of pirate scene going on, but all I know of is the handful of cellphone games which copy various elements (either directly or "I can't believe it's not CV!")

Please don't post piracy links... now are not welcomed here. If you continue posting ads, I'll report your message.

Information taken from ASSEMblergames: http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=423145&postcount=25.

Last edited by Yakumo on Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:53 pm        Reply with quote

what the fuck?
Filter / Back to top 
Yakumo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:55 pm        Reply with quote

what the fuck?

So? That doesn't mean links can be posted here. Sites like ASSEMbler are watched closely by the industry so we don't want to upset anyone.
Filter / Back to top 
Loki Laufeyson
fps fragmaster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:05 am        Reply with quote

what is happening itt?

http://lunaticobscurity.blogspot.com/ - newest post: Realm of the Dead (PS2)
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:18 am        Reply with quote

I'm not even sure where there are links to pirate games in that blog, and I'm fairly sure there aren't any downloads for official Contra games.

What the hell, dude?
Filter / Back to top 
Yakumo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:35 am        Reply with quote

I'm not even sure where there are links to pirate games in that blog, and I'm fairly sure there aren't any downloads for official Contra games.

What the hell, dude?

You're wrong, the pirate links are prohibited only in some forums. Some forums have link restrictions, like ASSEMblergames, Project NeXt Media, GameStone?, mobile9 forum, etc. where users are warned by posting illegal links.

Try with two of these forums of above. These two are listed below:
www.assemblergames.com
www.projectnext.eu
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:06 am        Reply with quote

I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Did you actually find anything illegal at that blog?

Even if it had roms of pirate games, why is that a reason to delete the link? The companies who make the pirate games don't exactly have much of a leg to stand on to be complaing about such things, and the companies whose products were hacked don't care about these hacks (they barely care about the commercial games being pirated unless someone is making serious money from it). And if those companies don't care, there's....really no one left to care, because very few legal courts are going to give a shit about the illicit distribution of the ROM image of Ultra GI Contra Super 7.

Also I have never heard of those forums except for Assembler, and most of the times I've heard of assembler it hasn't been for flattering reasons.

Is this....is this some kind of test?
Filter / Back to top 
T.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:17 am        Reply with quote

just another step in the evolution of bots, dais
T.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:47 am        Reply with quote

actually, it's even more strange than that. the guy is (i guess?) a mod at assemblergames and posted the exact things (word for word!) that he posted here (warnings, no piracy allowed) on assemblergames two months ago

which is why "Sites like ASSEMbler are watched closely by the industry so we don't want to upset anyone." makes no fucking sense when posted here at selectbutton.net

though i have no idea why he apparently thinks he has the right/ability to threaten reporting you for posting a link to a blog, lol (reporting you to who? toups?)
CubaLibre
the road lawyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:08 am        Reply with quote

DAIS you are so banned.
eskaibo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:43 am        Reply with quote

considering this thread's history I think it's more likely that spambots are now taking the first steps towards taking another's soul and using it as their own
Filter / Back to top 
extrabastardformula
millmuck holecutter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:13 pm        Reply with quote

Yea, spambots impersonating other posts from other forums where the posts would be relevant to the new forum thread based on keywords (pirate in the subject line) is pretty much current spam bot behavior. expect the post to get edited to a bunch of links in a week or so time in an attempt to game search engines.
 Attach signature
 Notify on replies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    selectbutton Forum Index -> King of Posters All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: