selectbutton
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile / Ignoring   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - Demo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bort

Location: Are you related to Bandai and Namco takes of games Sent from my iPhone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden - Demo    Reply with quote

UPDATE:
http://forums.selectbutton.net/viewtopic.php?t=11760
game is finished! link to topic above.

Quote:
Come on and slam // And welcome to the jam...
- Quad City DJs

ATTENTION CITIZENS OF THE POST-CYBERPOCALYPSE

The Great B-Ball Purge of 2041, a day so painful to some that it is referred to only as the "B-Ballnacht". Thousands upon thousands of the world's greatest ballers were massacred in a swath of violence and sports bigotry as the game was outlawed worldwide. The reason: the Chaos Dunk, a jam so powerful its mere existence threatens the balance of chaos and order. Among the few ballers and fans that survived the basketball genocide was Charles Barkley, the man capable of performing the "Verboten Jam"...

Flash forward 12 years to the post-cyberpocalyptic ruins of Neo New York, 2053. A Chaos Dunk rocks the island of Manhattan, killing 15 million. When the finger is put on the aging Charles Barkley, he must evade the capture of the B-Ball Removal Department, led by former friend and baller Michael Jordan, and disappear into the dangerous underground of the post-cyberpocalypse to clear his name and find out the mysterious truth behind the Chaos Dunk. Joined by allies along the way, including his son Hoopz, Barkley must face the dangers of a life he thought he gave up a long time ago and discover the secrets behind the terrorist organization B.L.O.O.D.M.O.S.E.S.

A tale of zaubers, b-balls, and atonement; brave dangers unheard of, face spectacular challenges that even the greatest ballers could not overcome, and maybe... just maybe... redeem basketball once and for all in:

Tales of Game's Studios Presents the Official Demo of
Chef Boyardee's Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden
Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Trailer

Screenshots

DOWNLOAD DEMO - RPG Maker 2003 Users

DOWNLOAD DEMO - Standalone Version

DOWNLOAD: Common RTP
DOWNLOAD: RPG Maker Fonts

Do you have the power to face the ultimate danger? Do you have the wisdom learn the ancient secrets of b-ball? Do you have the courage to stand up for what you believe in?

Enter the Gaiden...

The above was copied and formatted from the game's original topic, here, by Chef Boyardee. This is his game, Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden.

Anyway, this is probably the best game you will ever play. Or, best demo anyway, it's kind of short. Play it anyway. Chef and I are the co-founders of blockbuster game development firm Tales of Game's Studio, and we recently released it to the forum we post at.

So guys. It is an RPG Maker 2003 game. If you have RPG Maker 2003, download it and play it like you would play any game. If you don't, download the "STANDALONE VERSION." The RPG Maker 2003 version assumes you have resources cointained in the RTP (Run Time Package), a collection of the game's default resources. The Standalone Version includes the default files we used and should work, but the program is tricky and you might need to install a few fonts. (There is a collection of RPG Maker fonts by the other downloads). Or you can download the normal version and then also download and install the RTP (Again, there is a download for it). Either way works. I should note that the Standalone Version DOES have facesets I made after the normal version was already up, if you want to see those, but that is a minor difference.

This is by and large Chef's game. A few of the graphics are ripped edits I made, I wrote most of the Neo New York non-essential NPC dialogue, and I helped with bugtesting and RPG Maker shit (we do not particularly know how to work it though). The overall design, scenario, maps, and everything else really are by Chef Boyardee. The songs in the soundtrack are all his original compositions, except for one remix of the Space Jam theme. Thanks also go out to team member Medieve for the excellent title screen, and Drule for the fantastic trailer. The trailer is probably better than the game itself.

SO:
This is a short demo we made for the members of the forum where we post. There's only the town sequences and one dungeon, and it hasn't been that thoroughly tested, so there may be a few bugs. It should take you around a half-hour. Anyway, I thought I would share it with you guys. So have fun!

Last edited by bort on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:38 pm; edited 14 times in total
Filter / Back to top 
v84j3gs2uc7ns4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:35 am        Reply with quote

Filter / Back to top 
bort

Location: Are you related to Bandai and Namco takes of games Sent from my iPhone

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:33 am        Reply with quote

those pictures were in my cache and i forgot the original host doesnt allow outside links.

so yeah now there are pictures!
Filter / Back to top 
JamesE

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:26 pm        Reply with quote

Pls move to king of development

Bort you have done well. Are the rumors I hear of a Shaq-fu army subquest being in the game true?
Filter / Back to top 
BotageL
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:38 pm        Reply with quote

great videojuego, downloading now

http://www.mdgeist.com/
Filter / Back to top 
Hot Stott Bot
banned

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:41 pm        Reply with quote

New term: videojuego

DEFINE!
Filter / Back to top 
The Drunken Samurai
tedious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:47 pm        Reply with quote

Hot Stott Bot wrote:
New term: videojuego

DEFINE!

video game en espanol?
tedious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:48 pm        Reply with quote

also i think this should be moved to the games board

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:12 pm        Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:

Bort you have done well. Are the rumors I hear of a Shaq-fu army subquest being in the game true?

WELL. First of all thanks! Also, I am not the scenario writer so I do not really know, but the story is more or less decided so far, and Shaquille O'Neal is not featured in it. Thoroughly explore the catacombs and you will know why! Also the Space Jam is the only thing we really reference and this is because Charles Barkley was in it. Also an important fact about the Space Jam is that it is canon* and this is a very important thing.

Also I wasn't sure if this should be in King of Posters (being a game and all) or King of Development (being an "indie game" and all) so I decided to put it in Forum Axe because I thought that if anyone does, the people who post here would probably get a bigger kick out of it than most.

I did not think about that whole AUTO-PRUNING thing the Axe has though so maybe that was not such a swell idea by me. So uh.... I guess if a mod wants to move it (anywhere, really) that would be cool.

*Seriously read that part about whether or not Space Jam is "canon." Canon to basketball? Canon to Looney Tunes? Canon to the life of Michael Jordan? Reality? We to this day do not know what it means. Some guy on the talk page has the same questions!
Filter / Back to top 
The Drunken Samurai
tedious

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:17 pm        Reply with quote

bort wrote:
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3386/barkleysig5gr.gif [/img]

is that background from blade runner? looks like it

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:28 pm        Reply with quote

mac version around?
bort

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:01 am        Reply with quote

Yes, it is Blade Runner. There are basically zero original resources in this game or anything associated with it!

Also sorry no Mac version of RPG Maker, at least not to my knowledge.

UPDATE though (this is also in the first post (also too bad we cannot embed)), my Swedish pal Drule made an incredible trailer. It is on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M0FLAXXvRU

You might not want to watch that though because it might be better than the game itself.
Filter / Back to top 
SplashBeats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:15 am        Reply with quote

Yo, bort. Whenever I try to play the game, it runs in this awful squashed resolution. How do I fix this?
Filter / Back to top 
Toups
tyranically banal

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:21 am        Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:

fuck that shit, I'm frontpaging this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:23 am        Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Yo, bort. Whenever I try to play the game, it runs in this awful squashed resolution. How do I fix this?

Do you have a widescreen monitor or something? It is a little distorted in fullscreen on my normal one so I imagine it looks really awful with a widescreen one.

But uh, press F4 for windowed mode. Windowed is also the default if you happen to have RPG Maker 2003 and run it via the editor.
Filter / Back to top 
SplashBeats

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:26 am        Reply with quote

I have a 4:3 CRT running at 1600x1200. I'll just run it windowed then.
Filter / Back to top 
bort

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:08 am        Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

Yeah uh, RPG Maker 2000/2003/XP/etc are kind of crummy programs. There's not much you can do about that unfortunately. They are nice in that it allows imbeciles like us to make games, but there is a lot of shit to put up with in the process.
Filter / Back to top 
Mr. Business

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:26 am        Reply with quote

Joe wrote:

When is the last time you updated your video drivers? I had similar things happening to me with games made in game maker, but updating my ATI Catalyst drivers fixed the problem.
Persona-sama
artistically unofficial

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:31 am        Reply with quote

Does this work on a Mac?
Requesting Mac version, if not.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 8:49 am        Reply with quote

bort wrote:
Also sorry no Mac version of RPG Maker, at least not to my knowledge.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:22 pm        Reply with quote

bort wrote:
Also an important fact about the Space Jam is that it is canon* and this is a very important thing.

That is fucking hilarious.

It looks like this is the first true contender for Select Button's game of 2007.
Filter / Back to top 
Jeff Garneau

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:14 am        Reply with quote

this is really good in a lot of ways but the savegame dialog is a little too obvious.

also two octoroons?

but yeah i really enjoyed this.
Filter / Back to top 
Chef Boyardee

Location: destroy the cultural values and private ownership of your implacable enemies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:53 am        Reply with quote

Hey, thanks a lot guys. I'm Chef, the other guy who helped to churn out this piece of shit game and I really appreciate the comments we are getting. It is PRETTY UNBELIEVABLE for me to see a game not only with such bizarre and esoteric humor, but also made by people who had basically no experience making games praised by so many people, so I guess I just want to say thanks!
Filter / Back to top 
Zebadayus
pelvis othello

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:51 am        Reply with quote

Guys, I am dying to see the rest of this game. I need a full version eventually, definitely.
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:32 am        Reply with quote

two ice zaubers = b-ball monster cannot touch you

Filter / Back to top 
fairy godmilf

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:12 am        Reply with quote

as a person who once wrote (to completion, actually?) a super-serious unflinchingly metaphysically pseudo-political novel about TENNIS MONSTERS in tokyo of the year 2047 without imploding, i have to say that you boys have officially created the best idea for a videogame ever, so keep at it

edit:

(o^^)b
(b^^)b
d(d^^)
(^^b)b
d(o^^o)b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:25 am        Reply with quote

The constant square referencing and the rampant japanophilia at the little save thingy is grossly tacky. otherwise I support this!
Chef Boyardee

Location: destroy the cultural values and private ownership of your implacable enemies

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:08 am        Reply with quote

I don't know, I thought it was pretty clear we were making fun of people who did that stuff. Also, I chose the name Square-Enix-Goya because in post-apocalyptic settings like Blade Runner and Shadowrun there are always MASSIVE MEGACORPORATIONS that have taken over the world and Square-Enix just seemed like a ridiculous choice for the company to do it. I added Goya onto the name because Goya is a pretty hilarious company to me, since they pretty much just make beans.
Filter / Back to top 
showka

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:36 pm        Reply with quote

I enjoyed the Goya reference. One time I bought a package of Goya frozen bananas that were meant to be cooked. It was pretty gross.

I have also bought their coconut juice from time to time, only to later say, "Oh yeah, I hate coconut juice."
Filter / Back to top 
Ben Reed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:41 am        Reply with quote

Okay, Legato showed me the demo, and I am now officially declaring this game "best game of January 2007".

I eagerly look forward to further development of this epic tale of slams and jams.
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:42 am        Reply with quote

shnozlak wrote:
The constant square referencing and the rampant japanophilia at the little save thingy is grossly tacky. otherwise I support this!

Psst- it's tongue-in-cheek.

Filter / Back to top 
Ashura

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:09 am        Reply with quote

This is awesome. This reminds me of that movie, Six String Samurai. Has anyone ever seen that? Buddy is badass. Go Red Elvises!
Filter / Back to top 
dark steve
secretary of good times

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:23 am        Reply with quote

That is the movie I wish was good the most.
Filter / Back to top 
shnozlak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:59 am        Reply with quote

BotageL wrote:
shnozlak wrote:

Psst- it's tongue-in-cheek.

Yes but it still brings to mind big fat greasy nerd creatures who are 30 and wear Tokyo mewmew T-shirts.

Not to mention the fact that its a-fuck-lot of text to be subjected to.
nothingxs
various methods of escape

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:20 pm        Reply with quote

Shut up and slam to the jam.
Filter / Back to top 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
0alone

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:13 am        Reply with quote

It's cool, thx for sharing! :D
Quick Reply
 Attach signature
 Notify on replies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    selectbutton Forum Index -> King of Posters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: