selectbutton
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile / Ignoring   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The seduction of Cynthia by you, the young male gamer (MS7)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: The seduction of Cynthia by you, the young male gamer (MS7)    Reply with quote

(I apologize for the number of images in this topic, but they're generally sub-30k, and I felt that the information needed to be presented this way)

In my generally ignoble and unwarranted opinion, the Combat School is by far the best part of Metal Slug 7. Whereas, with all arcade-style games, I struggle to get through the regular mode without losing dozens of lives (and prisoners), the combat school contains managebly bite-sized portions upon which you are then graded. For each stage, you're given a set of challenges:

-Target Elimination 1 (play a stage through normally, infinite time, infinite special weapons ammo, three extra lives but you lose points for losing a life)
-Target Elimination 2 (the same, but with no extra lives and judged based on time)
-Target Elimination 3 (the same as 2 but with no special weapons)
-Base Assault 1-3 (play just the boss, with the same gradual restrictions/grading requirements)
-POW Rescue (infinite time, special weapons, three extra lives, judged based on # of POWs rescued)
-Item Collection (POW rescue but with a focus on items)
-Special Training (a variety of special tasks within small areas, such as dodging falling debris, defeating as many enemies as possible within a short amount of time, bouncing a ball into minecarts with bullets, etc)

The Combat School allows you to more accurately master individual levels and the techniques you need to succeed in the main game.

To get closer to the main thing I made this topic for, I will shift my focus to Cynthia, the drill instructor for Combat School:

Cynthia is, well...let me go over two separate things.

First, I'm familiar with the following three things:

1. That certain home CD ports of Metal Slug, Metal Slug 3 and Metal Slug 6 featured a combat school, although only 3 got an English version (although Cynthia may, in fact, be related to or possibly even the same person as Sophia Greenville, drill instructor for Metal Slug). While there is relatively little (English) information out there about the combat school in 3, the relationship the player has with Margaret is supposedly in line with my findings in Metal Slug 7, which I will share with you shortly.

2. A similar concept to Combat School occurs in the excellent NGPC game SNK vs. Capcom: Match of the Millennium - "Olympic Mode", featuring Karin from Street Fighter or Rimururu. I've never made much progress in this mode, but it might turn out much like Combat School when you get more medals. (actually, reviewing the text in the ROM indicates this is slightly the case, but nowhere near as bad as...well...)

3. SNK, of course, has their infamous Days of Memories series.

Despite all this, what I found in Metal Slug 7 still alarmed me.

The second thing I will say is this: Metal Slug 7 is not a game abundant with rewards or unlockables. There are three rewards in the game: the credits screen when you beat it, the high score/best clear time tables, and....well....

Cynthia.

Let's get to know Cynthia, shall we?

When first entering Combat School:

Returning to Combat School:

Before A Mission

As you can see, she is generally supportive.

After Completing A Mission:

But she also keeps you grounded in reality.

After Losing A Mission:

Quote:
.. (sigh).. I have no words to describe such epic failure. If this were the real deal, you'd be a goner.

But that's why I'm training you. Well, if you're done feeling sorry, it's back to training.

And she makes internet jokes when you screw up. (emulator problem with getting losing quotes, sorry)

But the bulk of the information you get from Cynthia comes from a seemingly innocuous menu option:

You see, Cynthia has some things to say not directly relevant to what you're doing in the menus. These things (well, all her dialog, actually) changes as your rank goes up. For each set of ranks, she has four dialogs you can have with her. Here, unaltered, is the first set of four:

ONE

TWO

THREE

FOUR

.....can you see where this is going? (as if the topic title didn't make it obvious)

I plan to keep doing this for every new set of dialogue, just to show people where Nanica's work went in localization. That's assuming other people find this kind of stuff as fascinating/creepy/depressing as I do. I think it gives considerable insight into what exactly SNK thinks of their fanbase....

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:01 am        Reply with quote

This thread is lulz. Please continue.
Filter / Back to top 
adol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:45 am        Reply with quote

Yeah I remember this from SVC MOTM. That little ghouls and ghosts game was pretty rad, come to think of it. This also reminds me of the little character interactions in some snk CD games, like Quiz KOF, or the psx Real bout Fatal Fury Special port, or one of the ports for SS:RPG. I should go dig up screenshots for these, I may/may not do this later.
Filter / Back to top 
bleak
wizard life

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:36 pm        Reply with quote

I'd drill her instructor.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:02 pm        Reply with quote

DAIS wrote:
although only 3 got an English version

I'm positive the PS1 port of Metal Slug X had an English language drill school
Filter / Back to top 
Chuplayer
agalmatophile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:14 pm        Reply with quote

Metal Slug sucks. I don't know why you guys bother getting all worked up over it. The first game ruled, but that was it.
Filter / Back to top 
wasted potential

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:39 pm        Reply with quote

Well, this is from the makers of Doki Doki Majo Shinpan, after all.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:45 pm        Reply with quote

Chuplayer wrote:
Metal Slug sucks. I don't know why you guys bother getting all worked up over it. The first game ruled, but that was it.

NO.
Filter / Back to top 
dementia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:38 pm        Reply with quote

Wait is the English language version on MS7 "out"

or is this the fan translation patch?
Filter / Back to top 
Broco

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:45 pm        Reply with quote

dementia wrote:
Wait is the English language version on MS7 "out"

or is this the fan translation patch?

Neither. The Japanese ROM had the English text in it already. Fan translations for games tend to take years.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:54 pm        Reply with quote

One day I'll defeat you cynthia...
Filter / Back to top 
Chuplayer
agalmatophile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:25 pm        Reply with quote

invisibleyogurt wrote:
Chuplayer wrote:

NO.

YES. The day I pay for a quarter muncher again is the day I... well... pay for a quarter muncher again.
Filter / Back to top 
BenoitRen
I bought RAM

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:58 pm        Reply with quote

I thought this was a thread about Metal Slug 7's Cynthia, not the worth of Metal Slug as a series.
Filter / Back to top 
chevluh

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 12:03 am        Reply with quote

Somehow the OP immediately reminded me SNK has made several KOF dating sims.
Filter / Back to top 
Koji

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:36 am        Reply with quote

The only part that really shocks me of this is how little sense all that text makes. Maybe they're taking the time to rewrite it before releasing it here? Naw.

The prize for beating this combat school mode will probably be Cynthia's expression #4.
Sushi K

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:45 am        Reply with quote

I was always wondering what MS was missing, now I know: T&A.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 5:37 am        Reply with quote

I'm always disappointed when I see Metal Slug games use generic art styles like that :(
artistically unofficial

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:39 am        Reply with quote

Man, all you guys should shut up and gtfo because we're talking about something SERIOUS HERE.

I'm always interested when they give NPCs like that detailed conversations to get to know them. SvC: MotM was pretty much like that too with Karen or Rimururu encouraging you or just talking about nothing in general if you spoke to them between games. It was interesting and I'd like to see more of it.

They should make a FIGHTER/DATING SIM. It'd be the bestest thing ever.
tyranically banal

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:47 am        Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:
Man, all you guys should shut up and gtfo because we're talking about something SERIOUS HERE.

I'm always interested when they give NPCs like that detailed conversations to get to know them. SvC: MotM was pretty much like that too with Karen or Rimururu encouraging you or just talking about nothing in general if you spoke to them between games. It was interesting and I'd like to see more of it.

They should make a FIGHTER/DATING SIM. It'd be the bestest thing ever.

battle dater?
artistically unofficial

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:28 am        Reply with quote

Actually, the first Melty Blood kind of accomplished what I was thinking of because the game would progress like a visual novel to begin with and only go into fighting mode when you confronted someone, then branching off in the story depending on if you lost or won.

It was a pretty good system! The game was pretty good too, which might've helped.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: The seduction of Cynthia by you, the young male gamer (M    Reply with quote

Dark Age Iron Savior wrote:
I plan to keep doing this for every new set of dialogue, just to show people where Nanica's work went in localization. That's assuming other people find this kind of stuff as fascinating/creepy/depressing as I do. I think it gives considerable insight into what exactly SNK thinks of their fanbase....

I'm fascinated! Not so much creeped out or depressed, but then this doesn't really strike me as pandering. For that matter, your idea that this suggests SNK has a cynical or negative attitude toward their fans also doesn't ring true for me. It presumes a little bit about their demographics, yes (implied heterosexual male player-identity) but the text doesn't come across as though this is a calculated ploy to snag the otaku shut-in market. It seems like more of a playful attempt to complicate the usual tutorial/training mode frame story. SNK may not be aspiring to high-art with this, but why is that troubling?
BotageL
pretty anime princess

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:43 pm        Reply with quote

Persona-sama wrote:

The difference is that MotM's dialog wasn't written as if you were flirting with Rimururu or Karin. At least, I sure don't remember it being that way. It has been years since I played MotM, though! Cynthia's dialog is obviously written that way, however.

http://www.mdgeist.com/
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:59 am        Reply with quote

Guys, remember, this is just the "rank 1" dialog. It only gets better/worse from here.

(I haven't read all the MOTM dialog yet, but for Rimururu at least, she gradually says nicer and nicer things until she doesn't scream at "marry me!" and, if you've got a perfect record, she'll say "Take me! I'm yours!")

anyway, dialog set two, after gaining a few ranks:

Before A Mission

After Losing A Mission:

Quote:
Oh dear.
That was pretty lame.

What's that?
You don't feel so well?
Good thing it was just
training, then!

Listen, if you think of it as
just training, you won't
succeed.
Think of it as the real deal.

Speak to Drill Instructor

ONE

TWO

THREE

FOUR

I didn't realize it before, but dialog 3 indicates that Cynthia is indeed the sister of Sophia, since Sophia is said to really like fishing.

Anyway, hopefully the next set sometime tomorrow.
just call him badass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:24 am        Reply with quote

what a shallow bitch, i'd dump her ass on the curb
Loki Laufeyson
fps fragmaster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:05 am        Reply with quote

english ps1 metal slug x does have the combat school mode.

http://lunaticobscurity.blogspot.com/ - newest post: Mamono Hunter Yohko: Dai-7 no Keishou (Mega Drive)
Filter / Back to top 
Dracko
a sapphist fool

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:01 pm        Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
what a shallow bitch, i'd dump her ass on the curb

lol
king of finders

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:27 am        Reply with quote

Oh, right, stupid me....it's Metal Slug X that has the combat school, not Metal Slug 3 (which has the various minigames like Fat Island).

Anyway, I kept putting it off, but here it is: the beginning of the true seduction of Cynthia.

(note that you unlock new dialog as you gain ranks....the second set comes from going Recruit --> something I forgot --> Corporal --> Sargent. Then you have to go SSG --> PSF --> MSG --> SGM --> WO1 --> CWO before she truly begins to fall in love with you)

On with the blushing!

Before A Mission

I warn you now....she has only just begun to blush.

After Losing A Mission:

Quote:
What are you doing out there!?
You have to concentrate to
do it right!

Right, now we're going to go
over your weak points from this drill.

...huh? Of, of course!
J-just us! Alone!
H-hurry up!
You're wasting my time!

ONE

(I have no idea what "Falcon Wing" is a reference to....although Marco and Tarma are from the Peregrine Falcon squad. Also, this is officially where the conversations go from creepy-but-charming to totally surreal)

TWO

THREE

FOUR

Guys, I think we're winning her over!

Tune in next time (tomorrow, or possibly next week) for what I believe is the penultimate set of dialogue. Will the love of the pretend battlefield overcome the gold digging instinct?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:07 am        Reply with quote

Let us consider the cultural and corporate mechanisms that justified the existence of this thing in return for cash money.

Now let's get some anime booty I hope I can buy her lots of little dresses and she wears them for me even if she doesn't like them because she wants to make me happy.
Filter / Back to top 
Mr.Stevenson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:28 pm        Reply with quote

Here's a little something to look forward to: link

What could it be!? Continue to slug through combat school and find out!
Filter / Back to top 
smiley-oh!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:53 pm        Reply with quote

This is probably the best thread.

I am on pins and needles!
Daphaknee
a whole shitload of class

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:58 pm        Reply with quote

more punishment

god this thread is so good

the internet's

Last edited by Daphaknee on Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Filter / Back to top 
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rya.Reisender
banned

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:19 pm        Reply with quote

This thread reminds of me how my country is totally devoid of (real) dating sims. Not a single one at the game stores ever. I always wanted to buy some, especially after having watched Higurashi and School Days which are based of dating sims.
internisus
shafer sephiroth

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:44 pm        Reply with quote

Man i recognize that this is silly and embarrassing but I also find it charming and I want this game (knowing it is metal slug helps).
Filter / Back to top 
glossolalia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:31 pm        Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
Not a single one at the game stores ever.

oh rya you're cute as a button.

i don't know why i like persona 3 so much yet find this distasteful. i guess because it's tacked-on and more single-mindedly an empowerment fantasy?
Red 0

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:38 pm        Reply with quote

glossolalia wrote:
i don't know why i like persona 3 so much yet find this distasteful. i guess because it's tacked-on and more single-mindedly an empowerment fantasy?

Maybe it has to do with context?
Filter / Back to top 
glossolalia

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:39 pm        Reply with quote

Red 0 wrote:
glossolalia wrote:

Maybe it has to do with context?

man what the heck. this is fes-only right? wha? why?
Red 0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:09 am        Reply with quote

glossolalia wrote:
man what the heck. this is fes-only right? wha? why?

Is it really that out of place from the rest of the game? I'm someone who has what some might call an irrational hatred for the way that game is presented (these some are correct in the consideration that my only experience of the game is from youtube videos), but hopefully my point gets through okay.
Filter / Back to top 
glossolalia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:26 am        Reply with quote

well, your character is probably a little too good at everything with minimal effort, and some of the dating bits are a little iffy, but dating is only part of the social sim element and almost no one in the game is all that likeable so i can't imagine using it as romantic escapism. and it makes sense, as an rpg, to have that kind of thing. it makes no sense whatsoever in metal slug. i haven't seen any fanservice as obvious as that video.

i'm not sure what you mean by presentation, as that's where p3 shines, music aside. actually i can't parse most of that post, sorry.
Red 0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:50 am        Reply with quote

glossolalia wrote:
i'm not sure what you mean by presentation, as that's where p3 shines, music aside. actually i can't parse most of that post, sorry.

Don't worry about it. I'll leave what I said as it is because, really, I haven't played the game and don't plan to.

The idea is that creepy shit sneaks in and becomes far too easily acceptable after being veiled in enough filters of professionalism. Obviously Metal Slug 7 needed a few more.
Filter / Back to top 
chevluh

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm        Reply with quote

Rya.Reisender wrote:
This thread reminds of me how my country is totally devoid of (real) dating sims. Not a single one at the game stores ever. I always wanted to buy some, especially after having watched Higurashi and School Days which are based of dating sims.

I dunno about School Days but Higuashi's not a dating sim, it's a series of sound novels (i.e. visual novels with less elaborate graphics). Unlike dating sims there's almost no interactivity beyond clicking to see the next dialog box, until the eighth and last episode where you have to solve a puzzle to piece together what happened in the previous episode to access the final story.

glossolalia wrote:
it makes no sense whatsoever in metal slug. i haven't seen any fanservice as obvious as that video.

Actually, IIRC there were swimsuit pics and similar fanservicy stuff in MS2's art galleries and silly little things like the lovingly animated melting clothes in MS3.
Filter / Back to top 
Dark Age Iron Savior
king of finders

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:59 pm        Reply with quote

Sorry about the long delay, guys. Fighting off toothaches and headaches through supreme inaction!

Mr. Stevenson, do you by any chance have any advice for Special Training 4B , where you have to juggle the four balls?

Anyway, on to what may be the FINAL SET* of dialog! INFATUATION, GO!!!

(rank rise: CWO --> 2LT--> LT ---> Captain ---> Major ---> LCL)

Before A Mission

After Losing A Mission:

Quote:
Do... Do you have any injuries?

Ah, yes?
The video of this drill?
It'll soon... ah, it's playing
now!

Ah, because it's all close-ups
of your face, you can't see
much?

Ah, well... anyway!
In these sorts of situations,
you can charm the enemy...

Uh... wait!
I'll film it right this time!
Please give me back my camera!

ONE

TWO

THREE

FOUR

*Why the asterisk? Because, even though I'm pretty sure this set of dialogue is what I got when I put in a code for full combat school points, it's reached at about 4800 points - less than half the total of 10000! So I may have ran into a bug or something, who knows, but I'll keep pushing on and see if there's any more dialogue. If not, well, that's a pretty huge gyp to give no more rewards after that point. At the rate of advancement in relationship, we should at least reach the level where you're having sex with her in her office within a few more levels. I think.

Last edited by Dark Age Iron Savior on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Filter / Back to top 
Quick Reply
 Attach signature
 Notify on replies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    selectbutton Forum Index -> Galaxy Oddity All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: