selectbutton
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile / Ignoring   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ace of Spades, or Minecraft With Guns

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bza
a very bad gay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Ace of Spades, or Minecraft With Guns    Reply with quote

Ace of Spades is a voxel based, WW1 themed block-building shooter in the same vein as Minecraft that's currently undergoing fairly rapid development. Two teams, Blue and Green, are pitted against each other in a capture the flag match with semi-randomized maps. Blue tends to be based in mountainous terrain while Green is past a river or two in lower terrain. Both teams will commonly build defenses around their intelligence, be it foxholes, trenches, pillboxes, or bunkers. The neat thing about building in Ace of Spades is that there are rudimentary physics, so floating Minecraft-style castles are impossible. This means that you can dig out the walls under an enemy base to collapse it, or even dig out an entire mountain!

Each player spawns with a pick, a spade, a rifle, a couple grenades, and 25 blocks to build with. You can obtain more blocks by using the pick to mine single blocks, and you can choose the color of your blocks regardless of how you got them. The spade digs 3 blocks at a time, so it's great for digging trenches or tunnels, but does not give you blocks to build with. The rifle is a long range gun that kills enemy players in a single shot to the head or multiple body shots, and can be used as a long range block destroyer. It's hilarious to shoot out the supports for an enemy bridge as they're crossing it! The grenades aren't too useful for destruction, but they are excellent at clearing out bunkers and other enemy bases. The blocks are, well, blocks. There's nothing special about them, and color indicates nothing.

I apologize for the silly commentary in this vid, it's the best I could find that actually explains how the game works:

Although the game is brand new there is already some emergent gameplay going on: players build colored boxes on the ground that show up on the map to look like the colored boxes that indicate where each team's intelligence is. Tunneling to the enemy intelligence seems to be the method of choice, but some players will go a step further and make maze-like tunnels to confuse enemy players as well. I'm sure there are many other things I've missed, but this is what I've seen from a few hours of play so far!

You can grab the game at http://ace-spades.com/, which is currently suffering from "the Notch effect" after Notch linked to it on his twitter. The game is only for Windows, sadly, but it seems to run fine on older hardware.
Filter / Back to top 
cactusfriend

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:34 pm        Reply with quote

Haet you, Notch.
Filter / Back to top 
shnozlak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:41 pm        Reply with quote

This looks killer but the way the view swoops around is kind a giving me a woozy feeling.
bza
a very bad gay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:59 pm        Reply with quote

Yeah that vid is from a slightly older version where the view sway was higher. It's a bit more controlled now, but still kinda 'woah' at times. The worst part is when you look down, everything goes all distorted!
Filter / Back to top 
haze
la belle poney sans merci

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:59 am        Reply with quote

this game is hard to get into..... LITERALLY

but it is kinda fun.

I gave it a try with some others in the IRC, when the servers weren't being disconnected entirely. I remarked that it's kinda like reverse-Tribes, where it's easier and more fun to defend, rather than attack. it really does take a long time to travel across the map (without getting sniped) which just makes me hope the game later on gets jetpacks, grappling hooks, and the ability to ski.

then everything went offline and we talked about wild fantasies of creating functional giant robots and eyeball-forts and replacing guns with longbows. we can dream.
Filter / Back to top 
Quick Reply
 Attach signature
 Notify on replies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    selectbutton Forum Index -> King of Posters All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: